AVID’s mission is to ensure that all students, and most especially the least served students who are in the middle:
- will succeed in a rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous college preparatory path,
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- will become educated responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
AVID’s systemic approach is designed to support students and educators as they increase schoolwide and districtwide learning and performance.
AVID is an elective class and program for grades 6-12 designed to target and enroll students from the academic middle into a school’s most rigorous courses. Students receive support in the AVID elective class through tutoring and a proven curriculum based on writing, inquiry, collaboration and reading (WICR).